The Official Online Weekly Newspaper of NAHB
The housing downturn has had a severe impact on funding for home builders associations around the country, with almost half of the locals surveyed reporting no net profit in fiscal 2010 and all of the state associations outside of the Western region registering deficits in 2009.
The findings come from two NAHB surveys conducted in recent years — the 2011 Local Association Survey and the Analysis of State Association 2009 Tax Records — which provide a snapshot of the business operations of 272 home builders associations.
Designed to obtain a better understanding of the financial characteristics, governance structure and operating practices of local associations, this year’s survey was send to 587 HBAs and was completed by 226 of them, for a response rate of 39%.
With the survey results, HBAs are able to compare their operations with those of other locals of similar size.
Among the findings of the local association survey:
- Local associations average two full-time employees and one part-time employee on their payrolls. This year, 29% of HBAs reported having no staff, up from 23% in 2009.
- A growing number of associations — 58% of those responding -— have 250 members or less.
- Locals reported an average 20 board members and seven committees.
- The associations received average dues income of $195 from builders, $182 from associates and $69 from affiliates.
- Associations reported a dramatic increase over the past two years in their use of social media, with 70% communicating via Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and other platforms, compared to just 26% in 2009.
The state report is designed to help members better understand the revenue position of the federation’s state associations, as well as their expenses, salaries, dues and policies.
The data for this report came from Form 990s of 46 state HBAs for fiscal 2009.
Among the findings:
- The average board size was 100.
- More than half — 57% of the state associations — have fewer than four staff members.
- The average amount of dues retained by state associations was $133
For more information, email Greg Zick at NAHB, or call him at 800-368-5242 x8493.