Path to Green Success Begins at IBS 2010
With the coming year expected to offer great opportunities for smart builders, resources and activities at next month’s International Builders’ Show in Las Vegas will help convention-goers identify where they can score success in green building.
Back again this year, Green Day will be observed on Wednesday, Jan. 20. Sponsored by Kohler, Marvin Windows and Doors and Whirlpool, Green Day emphasizes the growing number of sustainable and efficient products available to builders and remodelers and the strides the industry is taking to a greener future.
Already more than 700 homes, subdivisions and remodeling projects have completed National Green Building Certification administered by the NAHB Research Center — a 600% jump over 2008.
Following is just a small sampling of what IBS 2010 has to offer. For more details, go to www.buildersshow.com:
- "Eco-Business Strategy" — Hear renowned futurist James Canton's keynote on the emerging “Green and Clean” business trend. Learn how to develop an eco-business strategy that turns your emphasis on sustainability into a new competitive advantage. Hear case studies, forecasts and bottom-line examples.
- "Intro to the National Green Building Standard" — Learn about the ICC 700, the first green building rating system to be approved by the American National Standards Institute. Get an insider’s perspective on how ICC 700 helps you rate the resource efficiency and environmental impact of residential construction.
- "Green Building, Building Science, Quality" — Learn how to "connect the dots" among these three pillars of high performance homes, and maximize the value you deliver to savvy home buyers. Get proven tips for combining the three concepts to optimize design, specification and construction. This dovetails with the new NAHB Master Green Builder certification program.
- "EnergyValue Housing Award Winners Tell All" — Hear from award winners about their innovative, energy-efficient designs. These building pros will discuss not only how to build energy efficiency into housing, but also why it’s important to you and your customers. Learn both the technical side as well as the market-based value approach to selling energy-conserving features.
- "Minimize Building Green Costs" — This panel of builders will share detailed results and lessons learned one year after diving into green building. Panelists will share wins and losses in planning, specifications, construction processes and working with manufacturers and contractors. In addition, hear about the surprising issues and opportunities they encountered in sales and marketing.
- "Fill in Your Green Gaps" — Learn how to take advantage of a variety of other green building concepts, resources and tips. Hear experts’ advice and insights about concrete wall and prefab systems; the Environmental Protection Agency's Indoor airPLUS program; federal, state and local incentive programs and policies; and consumer attitudes and buying behaviors.
For more information, e-mail Calli Schmidt at NAHB, or call her at 800-368-5242 x8132.