Voting Still Open for EVHA People’s Choice Award
Professional Remodeler's Remodeler of the Year, who will be announced in the magazine’s January issue, will be the keynote speaker at the 2010 EnergyValue Housing Awards (EVHA) ceremony on Jan. 18. Moving into a new era, the NAHB Research Center has announced that remodelers will be able to apply for the EVHA starting in 2011.
During the 2010 ceremony at the Flamingo Hotel, 20 builders from 15 states will receive EnergyValue Housing Awards (EVHA), the nation’s preeminent energy efficiency award honoring builders who voluntarily incorporate energy efficiency into all aspects of new home construction. EVHA challenges builders to elevate standards for energy-efficient construction, provides educational opportunities for home builders and fosters the adoption of energy efficiency principles.
Silver and Gold award winners and this year’s Builder of the Year and People’s Choice winners will be chosen from among the EVHA finalists, who were selected by a judging panel last fall. Finalists were selected from three climate regions (cold, moderate and hot) and five project categories (affordable, custom/demonstration, factory-built, multifamily and production).
The 2010 EVHA finalists are:
- Sierra Homes, Fredericksburg, Texas
- Yavapai College, Residential Building Technology Program, Chino Valley, Ariz.
- Ferrier Custom Homes, Fort Worth, Texas
- GreenCraft Builders, LLC, Lewisville, Texas
- CVH, Inc. dba Clifton View Homes, Coupeville, Wash.
- Imagine Homes, San Antonio
- Melaver/Sustainable Fellwood, Savannah, Ga.
- Artistic Homes, Albuquerque, N.M.
- Gold Medallion Homes, Taylorsville, Utah
- Bridgewater Innovative Builders, Whitefish, Mont.
- Nelson Construction, Farmington, Conn.
- Raymar Homes, Hudsonville, Mich.
- Community Housing Partners, Christianburg, Va.
- Veridian Homes, Madison, Wis.
- Fireside Home Construction, Dexter, Mich.
- Kurowski Development Co., Littleton, Colo.
- Creswell & Company, Pottstown, Pa.
- Habitat for Humanity Portland/MetroEast, Portland, Ore.
- Chandler Design-Build, Mebane, N.C.
- New World Home, New York
Judges for the 2010 competition included some EVHA veterans — both former judges and winners alike — and some new additions to the mix. The panel of experts included: Barb Yankie, Homes +, Inc.; Joe Gregory, Bob Ward Companies; David Hales, Washington State University Extension Energy Program; Lee Magnusson, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL); Margo Thompson, Lockheed Martin; Craig Conner, energy and green building consultant; Peter Pfeiffer, Barley + Pfeiffer Architects; Steve Hale, CGP, Hale and Sun Construction, Inc.; Dr. Sydney Roberts, Southface Energy Institute; and Jordon Goldman, ZeroEnergy Design.
Judging for the People’s Choice award — the only award not decided by the panel of judges — will continue through noon (EST) on Tuesday, Jan. 12. Visit www.nahbrc.com/evha to pick your favorite project from among this year’s finalists.
The People’s Choice will be presented along with the other 2010 awards at a ceremony at the Flamingo Las Vegas Hotel during the International Builders’ Show. Tickets for the ceremony are still available; visit www.nahbrc.com/evha for details.
The application process for the 2011 awards opens immediately after the presentation of the 2010 awards; information and applications will be available online at www.nahbrc.com/evha.
Now in its 15th year, the EVHA is supported by the U.S. Department of Energy through its Building America program, and by NAHB and the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), in addition to the NAHB Research Center.