Research Center Focuses on Green Certification at IBS
With the National Green Building Certification by the NAHB Research Center nearing the end of its second year and the National Green Building Standard an option for almost a full year, the Research Center will be highlighting the program’s growth and accomplishments at the 2010 International Builders’ Show (IBS).
The Research Center’s booth in the North Concourse of the Las Vegas Convention Center will be staffed throughout the show by experts from the certification program, providing attendees who are not acquainted with the program an opportunity to find out what’s involved and how certification can benefit their business.
Builders can ask specific questions about their projects, and the experts can walk them through the online Green Scoring Tool or point them in the right direction for more information.
On Wednesday, Jan. 20, which is Green Day at the IBS, the Research Center will be hosting a “National Green Building Certification Lounge” (North 245-247), which will be dedicated to the various aspects of the national certification program.
Some of the day’s information topics for sessions in the lounge will include:
- An open forum for land developers seeking to have projects certified to the standard
- Q&As for multifamily green projects
- Quality management for green home builders
- Getting green approval for modular projects (specifically geared toward members of the Building Systems Councils
- Technical assistance on scoring home to the standard
- Green remodeling
- Obtaining green approval for products (geared toward members of the National Council of the Housing Industry and other building product manufacturers).
The day will close with a National Green Building Certification Networking Reception to celebrate the achievements of the program to date and high expectations for the coming year.
A schedule of the day’s events will be available at the Research Center booth in the North Concourse.
During the IBS, Michelle Desiderio, director of green building programs for the NAHB Research Center, will be participating in a number of panel discussions on green home certification and the standard. These programs include:
- “Getting in Front of Green Builders With Green Approved Products”
- “An Introduction to the National Green Building Standard”
- “Green Communities — Examples From the National Green Building Standard”
NAHB Research Center staff members will also be moderating and participating in other educational programs focusing on energy-efficient and high-performance homes including:
- “Up-selling Remodeling With Energy Efficiency”
- “Energy Value Exposed: EnergyValue Housing Award Winners Tell All”
- “It’s in the Details: Upgrading Quality Management Systems for High-Performance Homes”
The dates, times and locations of these programs will be listed in the IBS Program Guide.