Apply for NAHB/NOD Disability Initiative Award by Sept. 11
State and local home builders assocations are invited to enter the 2009 NAHB/NOD Disability Initiative Recognition Awards program.
The award, conducted in partnership with the National Organization on Disability (NOD) and the National Housing Endowment, recognizes outstanding examples of programs, projects and activities conducted by HBAs that further the goal of full participation of people with disabilities in community life.
Entries are due by Sept. 11. The winner will be announced at the 2010 International Builders' Show in Las Vegas in January. The winning HBA will receive $1,000.
Projects must demonstrate an awareness of disability issues as an organization; the positive impact it has on people with disabilities; and outreach to persons with disabilities.
Ideas for qualifying projects include:
- The design and construction of a barrier-free home as the centerpiece in a parade of homes
- Education and awareness programs to promote barrier-free construction
- Employment training for those with disabilities
- Renovations of private homes, group homes or community facilities for those with disabilities
- Construction assistance for disability organizations in the community
Past award-winning projects are ineligible to participate and their applications will not be considered.
For more information and an application, click here, or e-mail Ariel Moyer at NAHB or call her 800-368-5242 x8595.
For more information about the National Orgranization on Disabilities, visit www.nod.org.
For more information about the National Housing Endowment, visit www.nationalhousingendowment.org.