A 10th Energy Star Award Goes to Whirlpool Corporation
Whirlpool Corporation has received the 2009 Energy Star Sustained Excellence Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of Energy in recognition of its leadership in offering consumers energy- and water-efficient appliances.
This was the manufacturer’s 10th Energy Star award and the fourth consecutive year it has won the Sustained Excellence award.
“At Whirlpool, we contribute sustainable solutions that meet consumer needs, generate shareholder value and enhance the welfare of current and future generations,” said Mike Todman, president of Whirlpool America. He added that this year “Whirlpool will again lead the industry with eco-efficient, functional and design-forward product innovations from our diverse portfolio of brands.”
Among the Energy Star appliances the company offers through its Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Jenn-Air, Amana and Gladiator brands:
- Knowing that 80% of consumers believe it is important to save energy, Whirlpool’s Eco Kitchen helps consumers make environmentally friendly changes in one of the biggest energy-consuming living spaces of the home. The Eco Kitchen — which includes the Resource Saver refrigerator, Resource Saver dishwasher, Velos SpeedCook oven and Energy Save range — is the brand’s most energy-efficient kitchen ever. The refrigerator exceeds federal minimum efficiency standards by 30%, making it the most energy-efficient side-by-side refrigerator ever to hit the market.
- Whirlpool’s new French door refrigerator with external ice and water is ideal for those who like to keep their refrigerators stocked with fresh food, at eye level and within reach. The refrigerator exceeds federal efficiency standards by 20%. Running this refrigerator uses about as much energy as a simple 60-watt light bulb.
- The new Whirlpool Cabrio HE CEE Tier III energy qualified washer can save up to $900 in lifetime water and energy costs and features a 5.0 cu. ft. drum capacity — the largest in the industry. No other manufacturer offers more high-efficiency (HE) and Energy Star-qualified washers than Whirlpool Corporation.
- For cleanup performance that’s both powerful and quiet, KitchenAid offers the exceptionally powerful and quiet Superba series EQ dishwasher. The line includes best-in-class washing and drying results, energy efficiency and the industry’s lowest sound levels.
- With nearly three-quarters of consumers still comfortable with top-load laundry, Whirlpool has taken a full portfolio approach to creating an option for every lifestyle. Maytag’s Bravos is one of the first CEE Tier III energy qualified top-load washers on the market, delivering 70% water and 67% energy savings.
- Known for its exceptionally robust components and long-term dependability, Maytag offers the Jetclean dishwasher with an exclusive Silverware Blast feature that ensures silverware and utensils come out clean the first time and every time without sacrificing energy efficiency. Silverware Blast has four spray jets targeted specifically at the silverware basket to evenly distribute focused water pressure to remove caked-on food particles.
- Jenn-Air products are designed for precise performance and with state-of-the-art innovations. The stainless steel commercial-style dishwasher with UltraClean wash system provides energy-efficient, enhanced cleaning.
- Providing common-sense features and smart styling at an affordable price. Amana’s new front-load laundry pair offers a fresh approach to doing laundry. An antimicrobial protection component inhibits the growth of mold, mildew and odor-causing bacteria on the door seal. Consumers will use 10,521 fewer gallons of water each year in the washer and save 44% on energy use compared to a standard, non-Energy Star washer.
- The Gladiator Chillerator Garage Refrigerator is the only Energy Star-qualified refrigerator designed for the extreme humidity and temperatures of the garage environment. Providing the latest and greatest in innovation, space savings and an upscale look that really stands out in the garage, the Chillerator appeals to busy families who need a second refrigerator that also saves money by reducing energy consumption.
Headquartered in Benton Harbor, Mich., Whirlpool Corporation is a member of the National Council of the Housing Industry — The Leading Suppliers of NAHB.
This feature is solely for educational and informational purposes. Nothing on this page should be construed as policy, an endorsement, warranty or guaranty by the National Association of Home Builders of the featured product or the product manufacturer. The National Association of Home Builders expressly disclaims any responsibility for any damages arising from the use, application or reliance on any information contained on this page.