NCHI Member Products Provide NAHBGreen Points
Members of the National Council of the Housing Industry — The Leading Suppliers of NAHB — have again demonstrated their support of NAHBGreen by providing information about how their products can earn points in the National Green Building Certification process.
Builders who want to incorporate these products and features should consult with an NAHB Research Center-accredited verifier, who can confirm how their inclusion will contribute to the point total and who will inspect the results, per the certification process.
In alphabetical order, here are the NCHI member contributions:
- The American Forest and Paper Association points out that wood is a strong, lightweight and beautiful product that has been used in buildings for centuries. It is easy to use and is renewably sourced. Building with engineered wood products and trusses, certified wood products and certified solid wood, and using minimum-size structural elements all earn points in NAHBGreen's Resource Efficiency section. Additional points are available by making efficient use of wood products through carefully planned layout and design. Build smart with wood to earn green building points. The AF&PA’s online Wood Manuals can help builders choose sizes and satisfy building codes.
- ARXX insulated concrete forms (ICF) help build high-performance thermal envelopes for commercial and residential applications. ARXX ICFs (ARXX Forms, APEX Block, PolySteel Forms and ECO-Block Forms) can substantially contribute to receiving points under NAHBGreen sections on Lot Design, Preparation and Development; Resource Efficiency; and Indoor Environmental Quality. Using ARXX walls and foundations minimizes site disturbance, reduces the quantity of building material and waste, manages indoor air and improves energy efficiency. Using ARXX ICF products as part of the design and building system can help contribute approximately 40% of the points need for NAHBGreen home certification.
- Continuing its dedication to providing healthy home solutions with advanced indoor air quality products, Carrier offers the Infinity Air Purifier, part of its complete Infinity system. The purifier captures and kills up to 99% of airborne allergens, bacteria, molds and viruses in treated air. The entire Infinity system includes a control with optional remote access technology, gas furnace, heat pump or air conditioner, evaporator coil, air purifier, humidifier, UV lamp and ventilator. This energy-efficient system will save home owners on utility bills and provide lasting comfort year-round.
- CertainTeed offers a number of products that may gain certification points:
- CedarBoards XL Single 7” Cedar Clapboard exterior siding is molded from real cedar boards and backed with extruded polystyrene insulation. With the look of natural rough cedar texture, the product features a longer length, which reduces seams on a house by up to 40%. Installing the product can contribute to earning as many as 22 points under the Resource Efficiency sections of NAHBGreen. In addition, CedarBoards can earn up to 120 points when combined with all other energy efficiency improvements.
- Northwoods Single 9” Staggered Rough-Split Shakes are molded from real cedar shakes to produce a TrueTexture finish that recreates the natural textures and variable patterns of milled cedar shingles. Northwoods offers a rustic style, and the random shake gaps and grain texture on full overlap give a seamless look. Installing the siding can earn as many as 22 points.
- Chesterfield with CertaGrain is now available in Sierra Blend, a multi-chromatic color blend. This privacy vinyl fence is manufactured using a proprietary texturing process that recreates the look and feel of real wood. Sierra Blend combines the beauty of Chesterfield with CertaGrain’s authentic woodgrain texture and natural, blended color reminiscent of stained wood. The easy-care design, which never needs staining or painting, can earn up to 17 points under NAHBGreen's Resource Efficiency section.
- Chesterfield with CertaStucco is an innovative alternative to stucco walls that won’t crumble, peel, chip or crack due to settlement or stain like traditional stucco. It’s virtually maintenance-free and never needs painting. The fence is easy to install, with less impact on home owners since there’s no mess or cost involved with digging a foundation. This product can earn up to 17 points.
- Durham Aluminum Railing is a new beveled aluminum system that can be used on any deck or porch surface to create a multitude of looks. Ideal for coastal areas where salt spray is an issue, Durham is crafted from high-quality architectural grade aluminum and features a weather-resistant powder-coated finish. The new railing is corrosion-resistant, withstands the elements and never needs painting. It can earn a maximum of 17 points.
- Symphony Synthetic Slate Roofing is a sophisticated new roofing shingle formed with the texture and contours of real quarried slate, yet it is lighter, more durable and costs a fraction of the price. It has excellent weathering qualities, withstands foot traffic and cold temperatures and resists curling and buckling, unlike traditional slate, which can crack under the weight of a misstep and shatter when temperatures dip too low. It can earn as many as eight points.
- CertaSpray Foam Insulation is available in both open- and closed-cell formulas and can be used in whole- house and building applications or in combination with fiberglass insulation. CertaSpray minimizes hot and cold spots and provides outstanding comfort and indoor air quality by impeding the penetration of moisture and outdoor allergens. When included as part of an NAHB Green-certified home, CertaSpray can contribute to earning up to 135 points. In addition, CertaSpray can earn up to 120 points when combined with all other energy-efficiency improvements.
- Platon Air Gap Waterproofing Membrane is a tough, durable, high-density polyethylene air-gap waterproofing membrane that provides superior foundation wall and under-slab moisture protection. The product is engineered to provide soil and wall-side drainage, a waterproof barrier and protection for elastomeric spray or “peel and stick” waterproofing on foundations to a depth of 20 feet. Platon is also ideal for waterproofing existing basement floors to provide isolation from cold damp concrete. Platon can contribute to earning up to seven NAHBGreen points.
- Durable, easy to maintain and low-VOC emitting, DuPont Corian solid surfaces and DuPont Zodiaq quartz surfaces combine beauty and performance with a range of benefits designed to work together to help create healthier, safer homes. DuPont Surfaces come in hundreds of colors and can be custom cut and installed for limitless design possibilities. The company continues to remain committed to developing sustainable solutions like the Corian Zodiaq Terra Collections. The products can contribute to obtaining as many as eight points for recycled-content, locally available materials and low-VOC sealants under the NAHB Model Green Home Building Guidelines. Go to www.countertops.dupont.com.
- DuPont Tyvek Weatherization Systems are complete systems for every climate and every building facade, giving builders everything they need — from specialized wraps to flashing to sealant to proper fasteners and installation assistance. The products help seal and protect the building envelope for more durable, energy-efficient, healthy homes. When installed properly in an NAHB Green-certified home, DuPont Tyvek Weatherization Systems can earn up to 49 points in the Resource Efficiency, Energy Efficiency, Indoor Environmental Quality and Global Impact sections of the rating system. To learn more, click here.
- NAHBGreen can award six points for using a demand-controlled recirculation loop or an engineered parallel piping system and eight points for a central core plumbing system — all with water volume limits. FBC Building Solutions FlowGuard Gold CPVC piping, FlowGuard Flex PEX piping and the FlowGuard MultiPort CPVC manifold system are ideal for these types of plumbing systems. All feature superior corrosion-resistance and are not affected by aggressive chlorinated water found in recirculation systems. In addition, the FlowGuard MultiPort manifold offers unmatched versatility and cost-efficiency — allowing for any number of ports during installation while easily accommodating future expansion.
- Through extensive research and product development, Kohler seeks to offer the most choices in water-saving products for both residential and commercial applications, and further establish its industry leadership in offering high-performing plumbing products that do not compromise design. Each low-flow Kohler showerhead or faucet earns two points and Kohler toilets earn four or six points in the Water Efficiency section. With its large portfolio of water-conserving toilet, urinal and faucet technologies, Kohler is well-equipped to provide aggressive water-saving solutions. Additionally, Kohler offers kitchen and bath products constructed of Kohler Cast Iron, composed of 93% recycled and reclaimed materials.
- Lennox provides green building solutions for home builders and has developed equipment systems that help builders meet NAHBGreen scoring requirements and provide a high level of comfort to home owners while helping to ease the pain of rising utility costs. As a system of products, each package is able to supply comfortable temperatures as well as fresh, clean air in the home. These systems qualify for up to 19 points under the Energy Efficiency section, and up to 25 points under the Indoor Environmental Quality section.
- Everstrand carpet by Mohawk Industries provides home owners exceptional stain resistance with superb color clarity. Mohawk recycles more than three billion plastic bottles each year, turning each one into eco-friendly EverStrand carpet. When combined with Mohawk’s recovered hardwood flooring or recycled laminate flooring, builders can earn a full six points under the Resource Efficiency section.
- ODL doorglass is available in a wide range of styles that meet Energy Star criteria as installed in steel or fiberglass doors. ODL doorglass blinds significantly reduce solar heat gain while providing natural light with privacy control. The blinds never need dusting. As part of an energy-efficient building envelope, ODL doorglass blinds help NAHB Green-certified homes perform above IECC 2003 to earn anywhere from 37 to 100 points. When installed in rooms without windows, ODL tubular skylights provide soft natural light and earn two points.
- Progress Lighting offers a wide variety of decorative, Energy Star-qualified fixtures in a number of styles, designs and finishes. The Westin CFL indoor fixture family and the Westport outdoor CFL lantern series offer aesthetic appeal, and an advanced Energy Star lighting package can earn seven NAHBGreen points. Recessed lighting fixtures installed within the conditioned envelope can earn seven points. Progress Lighting’s new 4” and 6” LED recessed downlights are superior to R20 incandescents and rival PAR20 halogens. At 50,000 hours, the LEDs will provide 70% of initial lumens. Ideal for niche applications and general illumination, the downlights are available in warm white 2700K (incandescent) and 3500K (halogen) CCT and dimmable to 20% of full output.
- By Schneider Electric, Juno and Aculux Down-Lites offer a large selection of Energy Star-qualified housings and a wide variety of compatible trims. Dimming options provide the look and feel of incandescent lighting with the energy savings of compact fluorescent lighting and can earn points in the Energy Efficiency section.
- The Pro-Fluorescent series features extruded aluminum construction in a shallow, easy-to-conceal 1” profile. They are optimized for fast, permanent installation and feature high color rendering 3000K tri-phosphor T5 lamp with 10,000-hour rated lamp life. Also available is the affordable Direct Wire Fluorescent series featuring the same quality technical standards.
Square D Occupancy Sensors by Schneider Electric reduce wasted energy by shutting off lights in unoccupied rooms or areas. Occupancy sensors employ an array of technologies to detect occupant motion, including passive infrared, ultrasonic and dual technology. Each Square D Occupancy Sensor installed in an NAHB Green-certified home earns four points per sensor under the 3.3.7 “Innovative options” in the Energy Efficiency section of the rating system.
Sherwin-Williams applies its GreenSure designation to coatings that offer long-term durability, have the highest indoor air quality ratings with low VOCs and low odor, and meet or exceed the most stringent VOC standards. Currently, Sherwin-Williams offers four GreenSure designated-products — Duration Home, Harmony, ProGreen 200 and Builders Solution Topcoat. Sherwin-Williams GreenSure designated-coatings can help to contribute as many as six points under the Global Impact section 7.1.2 of the rating system. For Green Solutions, visit www.swgreenspecs.com.
- Sierra Pacific Windows are beautiful, durable, energy-efficient and environmentally friendly. Every Sierra Pacific window and door carries the Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) on-product label as proof of the third-party certification for sustainability under the SFI program. Sierra Pacific products also qualify for points under NAHBGreen in the following categories: Section 2, Resource Efficiency, for durability and reduced maintenance, renewable materials, certified wood products and innovative options; and Section 3, Energy Efficiency.
- Therma-Tru Doors can help contribute up to 128 points under the Resource Efficiency section of NAHBGreen by requiring no additional finish, using recycled content and containing fewer resources than traditional products such as wood. Therma-Tru products also meet requirements for the Energy Efficiency and Indoor Environmental Quality sections. The building can gain additional points if an onsite third-party inspection is conducted to confirm installation of energy-related features; to ensure that doors are flashed, caulked and sealed properly; and to guarantee that the door between the garage and living areas is sealed tightly.
- Timberlake Cabinetry has achieved the highest level of certification under the Environmental Stewardship Program (ESP) sponsored by the Kitchen Cabinet Manufacturers Association. This certification earns builders two points. In addition, Timberlake cabinetry is manufactured in regional facilities near major building markets — reducing fuel consumption and its total carbon footprint — and from nearly 95% verified sustainable American hardwoods.
D’MAND Hot Water Delivery System provides fast delivery to plumbing fixtures, resulting in energy and water savings. The system features a pump, which is user-activated by a button or a motion sensor located near the plumbing fixture. Once the pump activates, hot water reaches the fixture in seconds. A temperature sensor detects when hot water arrives and automatically turns off the pump, eliminating waste. Installing a D’MAND system earns six points under the Water Efficiency section.
Flexible Uponor PEX-a tubing offers the ultimate solution for plumbing. It features a tight bend radius for the least amount of connections; resists scale buildup as well as corrosion, pitting and scaling; dampens rushing water noise and eliminates water hammer and singing pipes; retains more heat in hot-water lines and resists condensation on cold-water lines. It also comes with a 25-year limited warranty when it’s installed by an Uponor-trained plumbing professional. Depending on the system configuration, installing the system can earn nine points under the Water Efficiency section.
Uponor Radiant Floor Heating Systems offer superior comfort with the greatest energy efficiency and indoor air quality available. Radiant works with all types of flooring and is beneficial for people with allergies because it doesn’t circulate dirt, dust or other indoor pollutants. Installing an Uponor radiant system can earn up to 100 points under the Energy Efficiency section.
Under the NAHBGreen Energy Efficiency section, up to eight points are available for Energy Star®-rated windows appropriate for the local climate and two points are available when tubular skylights, such as the VELUX
Sun Tunnel, are used in rooms without windows. As many as 10 points can be earned for skylights that consume less than 2% of the finished ceiling area and include shades and insulated light wells. Up to eight points are available for exterior shading and cross ventilation, both available with the VELUX VSE Electric venting skylight. The company has several other models that achieve the same results.
For more information, e-mail David Cooper at NAHB, or call him at 800-368-5242 x8247.