Simpson Strong-Tie Introduces Economical Moment Frame
Visitors to Simpson Strong Tie in Booth N1213 at the International Builders’ Show in Las Vegas will be able to preview the manufacturer’s economical Strong Frame ordinary moment frame.
For many years, moment frames have been a typical method of providing high lateral-force resistance for residential and commercial construction. Stronger than site-built or factory-built shearwalls, moment frames allow larger openings and smaller wall sections in buildings while offering the high load values that structural designers and builders need. In the past, however, they have been time-intensive to design and labor-intensive to install. Simpson Strong-Tie has simplified both by developing a revolutionary alternative to traditional moment frames.
The Strong Frame moment frame is pre-designed and manufactured, taking the leg work out of the design process and reducing installation time on job sites. The moment frame is bolted together on site rather than the typical welding that occurs in the field. This is a tremendous time-saver for installers and cost-saver for builders.
Among the other unique product benefits of the Strong Frame:
- It’s available in a variety of sizes, up to 19 feet tall and 16 feet wide.
- Once designers determine the loads they need, they can then choose from many predesigned options to fit their project, saving them hours of calculations and detailing.
- 100% bolted connections allow for faster installation and no field welding; a standard socket or spud wrench is all that is needed to make the connection.
- Wood nailers are pre-installed on the frame, saving installation time and reducing the chance of mistakes.
- It provides full anchorage solutions and one-size-fits-all templates to locate preassembled anchor bolt assemblies. Patent-pending shear lugs allow for close concrete edge placement.
- Epoxy and Titen HD post-installed anchorage provide solutions for prescriptive design applications.
- It is manufactured in a factory environment with comprehensive quality-control measures. Installation in the field uses reliable bolted connections, eliminating concerns about the quality of the welding as well as additional costly inspections.
- Load values are givenfor prescriptive, wind and seismic areas.
- All frames fit in a standard 2' x 6' wall, eliminating the need for thicker walls or furring.
- The product is convenient to store and ship. Each frame is shipped flat to the job in three pieces with a box of bolts.
Strong Frame moment frames are an alternative to wider braced walls required by the UBC, IRC and IBC model building codes. As an alternate method, they help designers avoid the need for wider site-built walls and/or engineered solutions. The most common framing applications include standard first-floor installation, garage front applications for two- and three-car garages in one-, two- or three-story buildings, and balloon-framing applications for tall, open-style rooms, such as great rooms.
For more information, go to Booth N1213, or click here (strongtie.com).
Headquartered in Pleasanton, Calif., Simpson Strong-Tie is a member of the National Council of the Housing Industry — The Leading Suppliers of NAHB.
This feature is solely for educational and informational purposes. Nothing on this page should be construed as policy, an endorsement, warranty or guaranty by the National Association of Home Builders of the featured product or the product manufacturer. The National Association of Home Builders expressly disclaims any responsibility for any damages arising from the use, application or reliance on any information contained on this page.