New Georgia-Pacific I-Joists Reduce Construction Costs
Georgia-Pacific Wood Products this past summer introduced the new XJ 85™ Wood I Beam joist, which is the only prefabricated I-joist of its kind — with strategically placed openings through which builders can easily install plumbing, HVAC and electrical systems.
The joist will save builders and contractors money by reducing callbacks, and the product’s pre-cut holes make installation faster and reduce waste on the job site, according to Georgia-Pacific.
The high-quality wood product can support roof loads over long spans, such as large open spaces and high ceilings, and it resists shrinking, twisting and warping.
The XJ 85 joists lower installation costs in several ways:
- Light-weight construction and wider on-center spacing reduce labor and materials. One worker can handle a 26-foot joist single-handedly.
- The joists come in pre-fabricated lengths, have pre-cut holes and can be trimmed on site, reducing wasted materials and time.
- Strength and load capacity minimize bounce and deflection, with stiffer floors reducing callbacks.
- A single-layer, one-hour rated assembly is available.
Among the performance attributes of the joists that are beneficial to builders and contractors:
- No metal plate connectors make it a safer product.
- Its price is more predictable, enabling builders to forecast long-term projects and consistent pricing across multiple projects.
- The joists are available in a 16-inch depth and standard lengths from 6 to 26 feet.
The XJ 85 joist can be purchased through BlueLinx, the industry’s leading building products distribution company, with a nationwide network and widely available supply of engineered lumber products.
Headquartered in Atlanta, Georgia-Pacific Corporation is a member of the National Council of the Housing Industry — The Leading Suppliers of NAHB.
This feature is solely for educational and informational purposes. Nothing on this page should be construed as policy, an endorsement, warranty or guaranty by the National Association of Home Builders of the featured product or the product manufacturer. The National Association of Home Builders expressly disclaims any responsibility for any damages arising from the use, application or reliance on any information contained on this page.