Builders’ Tip: A Tool to Find Circle Centers — Spot On
When it really matters how close you are to dead center on a circle, the tool in the accompanying drawing that I fabricated can help you to get spot on.
Click for larger image.
To make it:
- Dado a couple of 1x3s to fashion a 90° half-lap joint.
- Then glue and screw the pieces together.
- Now pick one edge of the longer arm as your scribing edge, and drive two 16d nails through the short arm.
- The distance of the nails, A and B, should be equidistant from the scribing edge.
To use this center-finding tool:
- Set the nails against the circumference of your circular object and scribe a line down the long arm.
- Now, rotate the tool a quarter-turn or so, and repeat the process.
- Where the two scribed lines cross is dead center.
You can build one of these gizmos in any size that you need.
The two nails should be no less than a quarter of the diameter apart and no wider apart than three-quarters of the diameter.
I use one all the time for finding the centers of Sonotubes. Although I can’t draw a line across thin air, I can stretch a piece of string into two knife cuts on opposite sides of the tube located by the center-finder’s arm.
— T. H. Richards, Mont Tremblant, PQ, Canada
Tips & Techniques provided by Fine Homebuilding.
©2005 The Taunton Press
To request a reprint of this feature, e-mail Christina Glennon at Fine Homebuilding.
BuilderBooks.com Offers More Than 250 Books That Help You Build Your Business
BuilderBooks.com is your source for training and education products for the building industry. The official bookstore for NAHB, BuilderBooks.com offers award-winning publications, software, brochures and more available in both English and Spanish.
To view these publications online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.
NAHB Kit Gives Builders Back-to-Basics Tips in Cooling Market
With the current cooling of the nation’s housing market expected to persist next year, NAHB has developed a comprehensive online toolkit geared to providing association members with information that will help them prosper in today’s changing business environment.
To access the “Back to Basics” toolkit, you must be an NAHB member and have a login to www.nahb.org. To create a login, go to www.nahb.org/login or click on the log-in button on the main menu bar on the NAHB Web site.
For assistance, call the NAHB Member Service Center at 800-368-5242.