Builder's Tip: A Time Saver for Installing Closet Shelf Cleats
Whenever I’m installing cleats for closet shelves, I cut down the amount of ladder time with the little trick shown in the accompanying illustration.
- First, I draw a level line to mark the top of the cleat’s location.
- Then I probe along this line with an 8d finish nail to locate the studs.
- Once the studs are found, I drive a pair of nails along the line, one each into adjacent studs.
- Next, I push the cleat up from below until it encounters the protruding nails.
- Finally, I nail it home, knowing the location of the studs and that the cleat is on the layout line.
— Mark Tiley, Creede, Colo.
Tips & Techniques provided by Fine Homebuilding.
©2005 The Taunton Press
To request a reprint of this feature, e-mail Christina Glennon at Fine Homebuilding.
BuilderBooks.com Offers More Than 250 Books That Help You Build Your Business
BuilderBooks.com is your source for training and education products for the building industry. The official bookstore for NAHB, BuilderBooks.com offers award-winning publications, software, brochures and more available in both English and Spanish.
To view these publications online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.
NAHB Kit Gives Builders Back-to-Basics Tips in Cooling Market
With the current cooling of the nation’s housing market expected to persist into the middle of next year, NAHB has developed a comprehensive online toolkit geared to providing association members with information that will help them prosper in today’s changing business environment.
To access the “Back to Basics” toolkit, you must be an NAHB member and have a login to www.nahb.org. To create a login, go to www.nahb.org/login or click on the log-in button on the main menu bar on the NAHB Web site.
For assistance, call the NAHB Member Service Center at 800-368-5242.