Herman J. Smith Scholarship Award Winners Announced
The National Housing Endowment, the philanthropic arm of NAHB, recently announced the eight winners of the 2006-2007 Herman J. Smith/National Housing Endowment Scholarship.
The Herman J. Smith Scholarship Fund, honoring 1981 NAHB President Herman J. Smith, provides assistance to graduate and undergraduate students studying construction management, mortgage finance and related fields.
This year, eight students were awarded $2,000 scholarships each:
- Chadd Bolding, a senior at Texas A&M University studying construction science
- Catherine "Katie" Carleo, a University of New Mexico sophomore studying architecture and construction management
- Crystle George, a senior at the University of Arkansas-Little Rock in construction management
- Solomon Macauley, a junior at the Texas A&M University-Commerce studying construction science
- Ryan Ramey, a junior at Ferris State University majoring in construction engineering
- Andrew Sisneros, a senior at the University of New Mexico majoring in construction engineering
- Megan Svarczkopf, a junior at Purdue University studying construction technology
- Lewis Weger, a junior at Brigham Young University-Idaho studying construction management
“I believe that Herman would have been proud and inspired by the number and quality of students that are applying for these scholarships,” said Patsy Smith, who established the scholarship in her husband’s memory. “Herman felt it was his responsibility to give back to this industry that he loves so much. The decisions were very hard this year, but I believe that each of these recipients will represent this industry well and represent the spirit of Herman's commitment to NAHB and housing in this country.”
Smith currently serves as a trustee of the endowment and is a past chairman of the Home Builders Institute, the workforce development arm of NAHB. Since its inception, the Smith scholarship has awarded more than $120,000 to more than 75 exemplary students
For more information, visit the National Housing Endowment Web site at www.nationalhousingendowment.org.