Icons in Seniors Housing Honored
In recognition of individuals and companies whose leadership and innovation have contributed to the 50+ housing market, the NAHB Seniors Housing Council last week named five Icons of the Industry during its annual Building for Boomers & Beyond: Seniors Housing Symposium in Chantilly, Va.
“The Icons are leaders and visionaries in active adult and seniors housing,” said Randy Reinhart, a Charlottesville, Va.-based custom builder and chairman of the Seniors Housing Council. “The 50+ market is one of the fastest growing segments of the industry, and the 2005 Icons have set the bar for professionalism and have left a lasting impression on our industry.”
The award winners are:
- Active Adult Community Builder — Ara Hovnanian. Hovnanian is president and chief executive officer of Hovnanian Enterprises, the parent company of N.J.-based K. Hovnanian Homes, the eighth-largest home builder in the United States and a Fortune 500 company. In 1994, Hovnanian launched Four Seasons active-adult communities. One of the most visible brands in the industry, there are now 24 Four Seasons communities in eight states.
- Product Manufacturer — Best Bath Systems. The Idaho-based manufacturer started developing bathing units for the mature and physically challenged in 1992. It has focused on offering safe, attractive and affordable products for residential and commercial remodeling and construction.
- Educator — David Peete. Peete is president and founder of the non-profit AIM: The Society of Senior Living Professionals. For 18 years, he has demonstrated a professional commitment to seniors housing through educational and leadership initiatives.
- Service-Enriched Builder/Developer — Penny Pritzker. Pritzker is founder and chair of Ill.-based Classic Residence by Hyatt, a leader in luxury senior living. Her company owns, manages and operates 16 senior-living communities in 10 states. By focusing on the continuum of care, Classic Residence addresses seniors’ needs through innovative wellness, health care, fitness and nutrition programs.
- Lifetime Achievement — Bill Becker. Becker is president and managing director of the William E. Becker Organization, a N. J.-based strategic marketing, planning and consulting firm that specializes in active adult lifestyle communities. Becker’s clients have sold more than 60,000 units to the 55+ market, ringing up more than $7 billion in sales.
The Icons of the Industry program was sponsored by the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition.
For more information on the awards, e-mail Taylor Blanchard at NAHB, or call her at 800-368-5242 x8680.