* Next Generation Home Demonstrates Wind- and Fire-Resistant Structural Specifications
* Special Builders' Show Preview
* New Rule Enables Land Owners to Preserve Habitat for Endangered Species
* Housing Snapshot
* Building a Foundation for Workforce Housing
* U.S. Lowers Canadian Lumber Duties as Appeal of NAFTA Ruling Moves Forward
* Bush Economic Agenda Takes Shape at Two-Day Conference
Housing and Economics
* Housing Starts Off in November, But Permit Inventories Suggest December Rebound Possible
* Index Finds Builders in Good Holiday Spirits in December, Especially Out West
* Eye on the Economy
* Educational Sessions Focus on Excavations, Scaffolding and Other 'Top 10' OSHA Violations
* Townhouses Showcase PATH Technologies
* Top Toyota Executive Keynote Speaker at EnergyValue Housing Awards
* National Launch of NHQ Certified Builder Program to Be Announced at Builders’ Show
* Educational Sessions on Quality Focus on Profits and Customer Satisfaction
* Special Events at the Builders' Show
* Associate Member Programs and Events at the Builders’ Show
* Residential Design Program Offerings at the Builders’ Show
* Best in American Living Awards Gala Set for Jan. 12
* IRS Increases 2005 Standard Business-Use Mileage Rate
* Fraud Safeguards Only as Effective as Employee Follow-Through
* Business Management Resources, Sales Management Summit at IBS
Small Builders and Remodelers
* Third-Quarter Index Points to an ‘Amazing’ Year for Remodeling Activity
* Say Goodbye to the Lone Ranger
* Remodelors Council Courses, Events at Builders' Show
* Seniors Housing Courses, Events at Builders’ Show
* Seniors Housing Awards Recognize Cutting-Edge Design and Marketing
* Multifamily Courses, Events at Builders' Show
* 2005 National Wetlands Awards Nominations Due Jan. 15
* Entries Sought for National Green Building Awards
State and Local
* Elected Officials to Be Recognized for Their Public Commitment to Housing
* U.S. Supreme Court Will Decide Property Owners' Right to Access Federal Courts
* Information on Systems-Built Housing Featured at Builders’ Show
Sales and Marketing
* See the Best in New Home Sales and Marketing at The Nationals at the Builders' Show
* Sales and Marketing Events and Seminars at the Builders' Show
* President Bush Signs NAHB-Supported VA Loan Guarantee Bill
* Builders, Suppliers Test the Waters of Growing Mexican Housing Market
* Builders’ Show Program Focuses on Residential Construction Superintendent Training
* New American Home Combines 1920s Charm With 21st-Century Practicality
* An Engineer’s Christmas Story
Building News Coast To Coast
Association News & Events
* Annual Meeting of NAHB Members on Jan. 14
* Books, Products, Giveaways at the BuilderBooks.com Store at IBS
* Member Advantage HQ at IBS: Connect With the Power of NAHB
* Take the Web Membership System for a Test Drive at IBS
* Earn NAHB WorldPointssm Rewards When You Charge
* Awards Programs Deadlines
* Calendar of Events
NBN Back Issues
Elected Officials to Be Recognized for Their Public Commitment to Housing
In recognition of their strong public advocacy of housing, 10 state and local public officials will be honored at this year’s State & Local Government Affairs Recognition Awards Breakfast during the International Builders’ Show in Orlando.
This year’s winners were nominated by local and state home builders associations around the country:
- Commissioner Cherie K. Berry, North Carolina Department of Labor. She has worked with the North Carolina HBA and other businesses on her two top priorities — education and outreach — and her Hispanic Task Force created Labor One, the first mobile training unit in the United States.
- Sen. Jon Dolan and Rep. Bryan Pratt, Missouri General Assembly. These leaders this year helped guide a Notice and Opportunity to Repair (NOR) bill through the Assembly before it stalled at the governor’s desk. In the 2003 session, Pratt ensured that the bill was heard in the proper committee and he testified on its behalf. Signing on this year as the bill’s chief author, he was its lead advocate in the House. In addition to leading the NOR bill’s fight in the Senate, Dolan sponsored legislation to change escrow requirements for builders, allowing them to post a letter of credit or a bond instead of requiring cash.
Find out how our forward commitments program can lock in rates for extended periods.
See how you can get a loan with as little as no down payment through Countrywide’s Zero Down Plus Program.
- Rep. Lynn Herman, Pennsylvania House of Representatives. He was the lead sponsor and champion of legislation from the Pennsylvania Building Association capping water and sewer fees so that neither consumers nor builders are overcharged. He also used his committee chairmanship position to block legislation that would have been harmful to the building industry.
- Sen. Luke Esser, Washington State Senate. As Senate Floor Leader during the 2004 session, Esser negotiated reform of the state’s condominium act to ease the liability insurance crisis faced by condo builders. These improvements were signed into law in March.
- Mayor Connie Marshall, Bellevue, WA. She worked with a coalition formed by the Master Builders Association of King and Snohomish Counties to lobby her city council to vote down a costly and unnecessary fire sprinkler mandate that was promoted by area fire marshals.
- Deputy Chief and Fire Marshal David Phipps, Suburban St. Louis. He helped to develop code regulations that protect public safety without digging too deeply into the pockets of consumers or builders.
- Chairman Tom Brian, Washington County, OR, Board of Commissioners. He played a pivotal role in improving fish and wildlife habitat regulations that would have been devastating to Portland’s housing industry.
- Commissioner Betty Sue Morris, Clark County, WA. A friend to the building industry for the past 16 years, even when it has been politically damaging, she most recently helped overhaul a proposed ordinance that would have restricted businesses, including builders, from operating out of their homes.
NAHB members and guests are invited to attend the breakfast, which will be held on Jan. 13 at Orlando’s Rosen Plaza Hotel.
To purchase tickets or for more information, e-mail Marie Yarroll or call her at 800-368-5242 x8279.
[ Go to Top ]
The easiest & most affordable way to increase your productivity.
Try the latest version with our new release special!!
Keep all your critical schedule and job site info on your pda.
The only limitation is the contractors imagination.