- Never pass up the opportunity to meet with a person face to face. Donít send proposals in the mail or via e-mail. Meet every customer, vendor or subcontractor in person.
- Stories sell, facts tell. If you tell a whale of a story to get a job, you had better be able to back it up with your work.
- You canít sell a one-legger. You need both decision makers at your sales call. If not, one person will always say they need to talk to the other person. You never even had the chance to sell to the other person.
- Plan your work and work your plan.
- A clean job site is a happy job site. Your customers will be among the first to notice.
- Your company should be like a duck, calm on top, paddling like crazy underneath. If your company is well managed, this will be true.
- You canít take your money to your grave, but you can take your honesty and integrity. The goal of your company should be success that comes from being sincere with your customers and those with whom you work. If you have that kind of success, the money will be there. If money is your only focal point, you may be cutting too many corners to get there.
- Donít be late, donít be early, BE ON TIME.
Erik Anderson, GMB, CAPS, CGB, is vice president of sales and marketing for Anderson-Moore Builders, Inc. in Winston-Salem, NC. He currently serves as first vice president of the Home Builders Association of Winston-Salem. For more information, send him an e-mail.
University of Housing Offers Courses and Designation Programs
The NAHB University of Housing offers a variety of business management courses and professional designation programs that set builders and remodelers apart from the competition. For a complete list of current offerings, click here.
'Builders Guide to Room Additions' Available Through BuilderBooks.com
"Builders Guide to Room Additions," available through BuilderBooks.com, shows you how to tackle items that are unique to room additions. Man-hour charts, based on actual jobs the author has encountered in his long career, are provided for each part of the addition or conversion, to improve the accuracy of your cost estimates, so you're sure you'll make a good profit, even on work you've never tackled before. Thereís a chapter on making a business plan, with advice on marketing, financing, hiring, and record-keeping. To view or order this publication online, click here, or call 800-223-2665 to order.
BuilderBooks.com Offers Publications for Remodelers
BuilderBooks.com offers a variety of publications about remodeling. To view or puchase these publications online, click here, or call 800-223-2665 to order by phone.
Make Your Connection With www.nahb.org
Make your connection to the latest housing industry news and information with www.nahb.org ó the official public and members-only Web site of NAHB.
Log in today to register for educational seminars, meetings and networking events; find important economic and housing data; and learn the latest developments in NAHBís efforts to promote housing. Itís all available to you 24 hours a day at www.nahb.org. Just click the "Member Log In" button to get started.
If you are a member and need information about NAHB products and services, use the NAHB Staff Contact Directory to look up the direct telephone extensions for NAHB staff experts.
[ Go to Top ]