The most common scaffold violations in residential construction are associated with the following scaffold types:
- Fabricated Frame
- Ladder Jacks
- Pump Jack
- Mobile Scaffold
- Roof Bracket
- Carpenters’ Bracket Scaffold
Contractors and their subs should be aware of the requirements for the types of scaffolds they use on their job site.
The top five scaffold violations cited by OSHA in 2002 were:
- Failure to provide fall protection — 1,270
- Failure to provide proper access — 1,051
- Failure to ensure adequate platform construction — 959
- Lack of guardrail systems — 562
- Failure to properly support scaffolding — 531
For a better understanding of how to work safely and avoid getting one of these costly citations, read the “Toolbox Talk: Don’t Overlook Scaffold Safety” in the April 14 issue of Nation's Building News Online by clicking here.
For more information, e-mail George Middleton, program manager, NAHB Labor, Safety & Health Services, or call him at 800-368-5242 x8590.
The Toolbox Safety Talks series and other safety training and OSHA information are available through BuilderBooks.com or by calling 800-223-2665. NAHB Toolbox Safety Talks are available in English and English-Spanish editions.
[ Go to Top ]