The Official Online Newspaper of NAHB
NAHB has created a new venue on the exhibit floor for the 2012 NAHB International Builders’ Show that offers a mix of education, information and entertainment for all IBS registrants.
Located in booth W 1939 in the West Hall of the Orange County Convention Center, IBS Live! includes a theater where short mini-education sessions will be presented on a wide range of topics; the NAHB Finance Pavilion, where attendees can meet individually with a variety of capital sources and financing advisors; and a lounge for relaxing with fellow attendees.
IBS Live! opens at noon on Wednesday, Feb. 8, with Bob Vila, former host of “This Old House,” talking about the trend towards a more compact, energy-efficient home and the new, luxury details that consumers want.
J.R. Martinez, who was severely injured in Iraq before becoming TV’s “Dancing with the Stars” champion, will talk about his work with Operation Finally Home, a national charitable program providing new homes for injured soldiers. Martinez will be available for autographs and photos after his presentation.
“J.R. Martinez won the hearts of many viewers with his can-do attitude and spirit even before he won the dance competition," said NAHB Chairman Bob Nielsen. "Having the opportunity to hear his inspiring story is another great reason to attend the show."
Among other IBS Live! highlights:
- Better Homes & Gardens magazine editor Jill Waage will discuss top consumer trends noted by reporters, editors and designers around the country.
- A panel of green building experts will review the findings of the new Green Market Report, which will be released at IBS by McGraw Hill Construction Analytics.
- Professional Builder editor Patrick O’Toole will host panels on the latest building and remodeling apps for smart phones and tablets and lead a panel discussion with some of the up-and-coming home builders featured in the magazine’s June 2011 “40 Under 40” issue.
- Fine Homebuilding editor Brian Pontolilo will discuss the criteria he uses to determine what projects get published in the magazine and how home builders and remodelers can increase their chances of being covered.
- Hosts Eric Stromer and Cindy Dole of Home Wizards — a weekly radio show heard throughout Southern California on KFWB News Talk — will broadcast their live radio show on Saturday morning.
“We developed the IBS Live! concept based on feedback we had from past attendees that wanted more education and networking opportunities on the floor,” said Mark Pursell, NAHB senior vice president of exhibitions, marketing and sales.
“We think the area will be a big draw and add an energy that will benefit both the attendees and exhibitors alike,” he said. “It will be right smack dab in the middle of the show floor, so if you are on the show floor you can’t miss it — and I hope you won’t.”
A full schedule of IBS Live! events will be available on Feb. 1 at buildersshow.com/live.
To register for the 2012 NAHB International Builders’ Show, go to buildersshow.com/register. Register by Feb. 5 to avoid the more expensive onsite registration cost.