The Official Online Newspaper of NAHB
Exhibitors at the National Green Building Conference and Expo in Salt Lake City on May 1-3 will be showcasing the latest and most innovative green and energy-efficient products and services.
Here are just some of the many exciting green innovations for building professionals that will be on display:
- ACT D'MAND Systems (Booth 522) has introduced the only 'DUEL PORT Expansion Tank that is "self-cleaning" and is IAPMO NSF/ANSI 61 approved.
- Quietside (Booth 429) is the master distributor for Samsung Ductless Mini Splits and Multi Split Air Conditioning units and Quietside Tankless Hot Water Heaters.
- activTek Environmental (Booth 507) offers a line of highly effective, reliable, plenum-mount and in-unit air purification products to solve some of the most common and difficult environmental issues related to ductwork and HVAC systems. The INDUCT “air scrubber” units provide on-going, chemical-free, active odor neutralization as well as contaminant reduction in the air and on exposed surfaces within ductwork systems and indoor environments.
- Bayer MaterialScience's (Booth 314) High Performance Residential Program with Bayseal spray foam insulation will highlight its ability to form a complete energy-efficient home envelope.
- EFI (Booth 423) is now carrying Delta ultra-quiet bath exhaust fans. With their low sone, low energy use, DC motors, and rating for continuous operation, these are a great new addition to the residential ventilation product category.
- Venmar Ventilation (Booth 117), North America's leading manufacturer of energy-efficient whole-house mechanical ventilation systems, will display the new EKO, its ECM-motored ERV/HRV and the new compact Kubix systems.
- Applegate Insulation (Booth 503) will introduce its newest green insulation product, a hybrid of ancient fibers and modern fire retardant know-how: cotton insulation, Mr. Insulate. A revolutionary advance in energy conservation, Mr. Insulate fuses cotton to green re-use technology.
- Convenience Products (Booth 304) will showcase The Touch ‘N Seal CPDSTM Series 2, combining the convenience of a disposable foam kit with the efficiency of a bulk spray foam system. The self-contained, portable, constant pressure spray system dispenses Class 1 fire retardant, thermal insulating and sound attenuating 2-component polyurethane spray foam — twice as fast as foam kits.
- Icynene Inc. (Booth 315) will showcase the latest innovation in closed cell spray foam insulation. Its latest product, ICYNENE MD-C-200, meets strict standards of quality and performance while delivering environmental advantages as a Low Emitting Material (LEM) and a Green Approved product (NAHB RC).
- Liv-Space by Boman Kemp Companies (Booth 505) uses egress basement windows to transform the basement into a revolutionary new home building concept. Using a combination of Boman Kemps basement window systems, air-handling concepts, 9’ insulated/waterproofed foundation walls and designing open staircases to the basement will all help achieve Liv-Space.
- NCFI Polyurethanes (Booth 500). When InsulStar high-performance SPF insulation is applied to a home or building envelope, the world's most advanced science is being put to work to achieve the very highest energy efficiency.
- The Vinyl Siding Institute, Inc. (VSI) (Booth 414) has published "Insulated Siding as Home Insulation: Guide for Users and Energy Raters," a new resource that will help builders and designers deliver what home owners want most — comfort and improved energy efficiency. More information can be found at www.insulatedsiding.info. Insulated siding is vinyl siding with rigid foam insulation that is laminated or permanently attached to the panel.
- Warmquest (Booth 317) will present its newest series of low-voltage roof de-icing products which are installed beneath roofing materials. These systems safely and efficiently eliminate costly ice dams and dangerous icicles, all the while being conveniently hidden beneath the roofing.
Doors, Cabinetry, Countertops, and Windows
- Battic Door Energy (Booth 2417) will feature the first insulated attic access door that meets the new International Residential Code and International Energy Conservation Code requirements that all access doors from conditioned spaces to unconditioned spaces (attics) must weather-stripped and insulated to a level equivalent to the insulation on the surrounding surfaces. The E-Z Hatch Attic Access Door provides an R-42+, triple-gasketed, airtight access door that fits into a 22’ x 30’ rough-framed opening.
- JELD-WEN Windows and Doors (Booth 501) earned the NAHB Research Center Green Approved designation for the following product lines: SFI Certified Energy Star wood windows and patio doors, Energy Star vinyl windows and patio doors and no-added formaldehyde molded interior doors.
- Sierra Pacific Windows (Booth 116/118) will showcase many of its sustainable products, including its new aluminum clad, wood folding door system. As with all other Sierra Pacific Windows products, the new door system features certified sustainable wood products and a choice of 35 standard colors in environmentally friendly no-VOC powder coat finishes.
Home Automation, Computing, and Electronics
- Marantec America (Booth 119) will debut its energy-efficient garage door opener system. During stand-by, the M-Line ECO operators are 96% more efficient than comparable garage door openers. An integrated energy management system reduces the overall carbon footprint of Marantec's ECO openers.
- The Appraisal Institute’s (Booth 214) recent text, "An Introduction to Green Homes," provides an overview of the many programs, organizations and products that are fueling the current surge in environmentally responsible building and remodeling. Order now at www.appraisalinstitute.org/greenhomes and learn about green facts, resources and guidelines.
- The China Urban Development Committee of CCPIT (Booth 123) will debut its newest green building projects, which take adoption of energy saving, environmental protection and low-carbon technology to make green, low-carbon, and livable excellent real estate projects.
- J&R Products (Booth 219), known as the weatherization warehouse, will highlight its insulation machines, generators, caulk, weather-stripping, foam, tape, vents and many more product offerings.
- Mohawk Industries, Inc. (Booth 306) will showcase its SmartStrand with DuPont Sorona carpet, made from a unique fiber (triexta); it is the first truly new carpet fiber in 50 years. Renewable resources, such as corn sugar, replace 37% of the petroleum used to make SmartStrand. The carpet features engineered-in stain resistance that doesn’t wear, walk or wash off, plus SmartStrand offers better softness, resilience and durability than other fibers.
- NAR's Green Designation(Booth 212) will release a new version of its course curriculum and materials this year to keep its agents up to date on changes in the green building industry, and to better serve the builder and contractor community. Work with a real estate agent who is an NAR Green Designee to best market the green features in your projects.
- The PV Solar Shutter (Booth 233), a custom, power-producing window shutter, combines the energy-efficient properties of a shutter with the ability to produce power using renewable resources — all using eco-friendly materials and processes and now available for retrofitting on many types of plantation shutters. The PV Solar Shutter is easy to install, portable and easy to use.
- The Sustainable Forestry Initiative (Booth 319) is an independent, non-profit, organization with an internationally recognized forest management standard for North America. With nearly 200 million acres certified, SFI is the world’s largest single forest certification standard and is recognized by conservationists, governments and green building rating programs around the world. Learn more at sfiprogram.org.
- Sustaining Spaces (Booth 405) features HomeNav — the online home guide, a patent-pending interactive home owners’ manual offering tools and resources for home inventory, maintenance, and green living. HomeNav is the first NAHB Research Center Green-Approved Product for the Operation, Maintenance, and Building Owner Education section of the National Green Building Standard.
- Todd Valley Farms (Booth 218) will showcase its new turfgrass for sustainable lawns, LegacyPlus. LegacyPlus is a full season turf that can reduce water use by up to 75%.
“The National Green Building Standard,” available through BuilderBooks.com, provides “green” practices that can be incorporated into multifamily and single-family new home construction, home remodeling and additions and site development.
The standard covers lot design, resource, energy and water efficiency; indoor environment quality; and owner education.
Currently the first and only ANSI-approved green building rating system, the National Green Building Standard is the benchmark for green homes.
To view or purchase this publication online, click here.
The "National Green Building Standard Commentary," available through BuilderBooks.com and a companion to the ANSI approved "National Green Building Standard," that provides valuable insight to the intention and implementations of the practices and provisions found in the green building standard.
The "Commentary" is a useful resource for any designer or builder using the ICC 700-2008 as a rating system for developing or renovating residential properties of all types to reduce their relative impact.
To view or purchase this publication online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.
More Than 5,400 People Have Earned Their Certified Green Professional (CGP) Designation
The Certified Green Professional (CGP) designation teaches builders, remodelers and other industry professionals techniques for incorporating green building principles into homes using cost-effective and affordable options.
Earning the CGP demonstrates to clients and peers your commitment to the best and latest in green building practices and techniques. More than 5,400 people have earned the CGP designation to date.
For more information, visit www.nahb.org/CGPinfo.
“Build Green and Save: Protecting the Earth and Your Bottom Line,” available through BuilderBooks.com, is a comprehensive, easy-to-read reference that shows builders how to identify and select green building materials; implement green construction techniques; explain the benefits of green housing and offer affordable green building solutions to consumers; and use resources wisely and reduce water and energy consumption.
To view or purchase this publication online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.
For answers to questions about National Green Building Certification by the NAHB Research Center, certification to the standard or the guideline sunset, complete and submit the Contact Us form on the NAHBGreen website.