The Official Online Newspaper of NAHB
State and local home builders associations are invited to enter the 2010 NAHB/NOD Disability Initiative Recognition Awards program recognizing outstanding examples of programs, projects and activities conducted by HBAs that further the goal of full participation of people with disabilities in community life.
The winner will be announced at the EOC installation luncheon at the 2011 International Builders' Show in Orlando in January. The winning HBA will receive $1,000.
Projects must demonstrate an awareness of disability issues as an organization; the positive impact it has on people with disabilities; and outreach to persons with disabilities.
Ideas for qualifying projects include:
- The design and construction of a barrier-free home as the centerpiece in a parade of homes
- Education and awareness programs to promote barrier-free construction
- Employment training for those with disabilities
- Renovations of private homes, group homes or community facilities for those with disabilities
- Construction assistance for disability organizations in the community
The awards program is now in its sixth year. Past award-winning HBAs include the Home Builders Association of Southern Indiana; Capital Region Builders Association of Baton Rouge, La.; the Maryland National Capital Building Industry Association; the Home Builders Association of Metropolitan Denver; and the Home Builders Association of Northern Colorado.
Past award-winning projects are ineligible to participate and their applications will not be considered.
For more information about the National Organization on Disabilities, visit www.nod.org.
For more information about the National Housing Endowment, visit www.nationalhousingendowment.org.