Deadline Nears for AARP-NAHB Livable Communities Awards
Entries in NAHB and AARP’s third annual Livable Communities Awards are due by Thursday, July 23.
The award recognizes builders, remodelers and developers for creative and unique homes and community projects that improve the daily comfort, ease and safety of their residents and highlight the critical elements needed for a livable community.
New categories have been added this year to recognize architects and planners for home and community design, as well.
Winning entries will be honored for:
- Design elements that accommodate the needs of all residents with all levels of physical ability from children through grandparents
- Easy access to community services and features such as retail, restaurants, medical, social and cultural activities, as well as viable transportation options
- Improved energy efficiency that reduces long-term utility costs
- Enhanced site design that enables residents of a neighborhood to commute easily to the broader community
A panel selected by NAHB and AARP will review the applications and select the finalists.
Judging criteria vary from category to category, but points will be awarded based on:
Universal design features
Ease of maintenance and energy efficiency
Exterior design and landscaping/site design
Incorporation of livable community design features
Four projects were selected by judges as winners of the award in 2008:
- Builder, up to 2,500 square feet
New Millennial Homes
- Remodeler, more than $75,000
Interior Design Details
Developer, up to 250 Units
The Winery LLC
Bainbridge Island, Wash.
Developer, more than 250 Units
HallKeen, the Braverman Company and New Boston Fund
For more information on the awards or to apply online, visit www.nahb.org/livablecommunities.
Winners will be notified by NAHB and AARP no later than Nov. 1. Winning entries will be recognized at an awards program in December or January.
Find Out What the 45+ Housing Market Wants
“Right House, Right Place, Right Time: Community and Lifestyle Preferences of the 45+ Housing Market,” available through BuilderBooks.com, will help determine the right design, home features and amenities to attract boomer home buyers in your market.
Author, Margaret A. Wylde guides readers through the latest survey results on this important consumer group and explains what their responses mean for today’s and tomorrow’s home building industry.
To view or purchase this publication online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.