NAHB Members Celebrating Homeownership Month
In celebration of National Homeownership Month this June, NAHB is offering its members and home builders associations free online promotional materials highlighting the benefits of homeownership and providing positive messages about the home building industry.
Based on materials in the promotional kit, here are 10 great ways to celebrate homeownership month in your market:
- Host a technology fair. Organize mortgage brokers, Realtors® and builders to show off their technology and give advice on refinancing, home prices and building. Invite the general public or elected officials and their staffs. Set up booths and serve a simple lunch.
- Organize a community service project. If you haven’t done so already, contact your local Habitat for Humanity, Rebuilding Together or Youth Build organization to contribute to programs scheduled in June. Or, initiate a Ramp-a-Thon or other remodeling program that helps area residents modify their homes for aging in place or to accommodate disabilities.
- Provide new home buyers with consumer information. Distribute consumer pamphlets to recent home buyers and prospective buyers during the month of June and beyond. Available from BuilderBooks.com, topics in the "Your New Home and How to Take Care of It" 10-pamphlet series include home owner orientation, paying for a new home, a new home care plan, moving into a new home, designing a new home and more.
- Host a special radio show. Contact your local talk radio station and offer to host a special call-in program this month to discuss key homeownership subjects. Involve several builders with expertise in different areas to address the wide-range of topics that may come up.
- Host a lending workshop. Work with area business and community leaders, including a local HUD office, to host a workshop to educate potential home owners about the often confusing range of mortgage lending options available to them.
- Showcase a rehabilitated neighborhood. Celebrate the dream of homeownership by hosting a press conference on the front porch of a new home you’ve constructed or helped to rehabilitate in a once-troubled neighborhood.
- Schedule a news conference. Plan a news conference for National Homeownership Month, using Myth Buster resources to help set the record straight about your local market.
- Host a home buying fair. Provide information on area lenders and counselors at an event that the entire family can enjoy.
- Community tours. Invite officials and the media for a first-hand look at successful and innovative housing developments in your area.
- Community homeownership poster contest. Youths in your area can participate in the contest and have a chance to express themselves and their ideas about what a “home” means to them.
For more information on getting the message out to home owners and potential home buyers, visit www.nahb.org/homeownershipmonth; or e-mail Brooke Fishel at NAHB, or call her at 800-368-5242 x8061.
Subscribe to Sales + Marketing Ideas Magazine for Cutting-Edge Information
For additional cutting-edge sales and marketing information, subscribe to NAHB’s Sales + Marketing Ideas Magazine (www.smimagazine.com).
Click here to learn about membership benefits of the National Sales and Marketing Council and the Institute of Residential Marketing.
'Sales and Marketing Checklists' Covers the Ins and Outs of New Home Sales
“Sales and Marketing Checklists for Profit-Driven Home Builders,” available through BuilderBooks.com, covers the major steps involved in successful new home sales.
Learn the ins and outs of the comprehensive contract, the move-in, warranty service, asking for referrals and a great close. This expanded second edition also includes a new chapter on utilizing technology in your marketing and a more extensive chapter on multicultural sales.
To view or purchase this publication online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.
NAHB Has Nearly 300 Resources to Help You Run Your Business More Profitably
Go to NAHB's Business Management Tools Web pages (available to members only) for instant access to nearly 300 timesaving, moneymaking and cost-cutting business resources to help you run your business more profitably. Get guidance on accounting and financial management, business strategy, computers and information technology, customer service, human resources and more.
Resources are added weekly, so bookmark www.nahb.org/biztools to go directly to these vital business management resources.
Local and state home builders associations can link directly to www.nahb.org/biztools from their Web site and give their members instant access to these resources. It will make your HBA's Web site the place to go for the information and guidance that members need to succeed.
Free NAHB Kit Gives Builders Back-to-Basics Tips to Navigate the Slowdown
What was once expected to be a relatively mild housing slump following three years of record new home construction and sales has given way to a significant downturn.
To help members navigate the uncharted waters of this slowdown, NAHB has compiled a comprehensive “Back to Basics” online toolkit — the best of the basics, the tried and true and the truly new. To access the toolkit, click here.
To access the “Back to Basics” toolkit, you must be an NAHB member and have a login to www.nahb.org. To create a login, go to www.nahb.org/login or click on the log-in button on the main menu bar.
For assistance, call the NAHB Member Service Center at 800-368-5242.