Banks, Churches Among Best in Commercial Building
The cafeteria at the Wells Fargo Home Mortgage campus, winner of project of the year in the National Commercials Builders Council competition.
Several banks, churches, a marina, a multiplex movie theater and the 160-acre Wells Fargo Home Mortgage campus in West Des Moines, Iowa were among the winners of the National Commercial Builders Council (NCBC) 2008 Awards of Excellence competition.
The awards recognize achievements in commercial building for remodeling and new construction design, market appeal, energy efficiency, overcoming challenges faced during construction and overall project success.
The winners exhibited inventive use of technology, ingenuity in overcoming design and construction challenges and innovative use of energy-efficient features.
Project of the Year
The Wells Fargo Home Mortgage campus — a suburban development encompassing more than one million square feet in a multi-year, multi-phased design and construction plan — was named project of the year.
Developed by the Des Moines-based general contractor, Weitz-JE Dunn, A Joint Venture, the project includes three four-story buildings, a central plant and a centralized commons building that features dining services and a fitness center.
Some of the features on the project that provide its winning edge include standard and high-end finishes, hard ceilings painted blue with mirroring carpet that imitates a meandering river coursing through the open-air office spaces, and site work that incorporates typical landscapes of Iowa's upland prairie. The dining room features a stone fireplace that is open on two sides.
- Home Savings Bank, Madison, Wis. — Linville Architects, Madison, Wis.
In the green building category, the light-filled bank features a south-facing, glazed façade and site grading that allows 40% of the building’s runoff to remain on site in planting beds and a rain garden.
- Covenant Missionary Baptist Church, Florida City, Fla. — Homestead, Fla.
In the institutional category, the church features a roof structure and floor plan that combines curved beams and columns suspended and supported by each other to reflect, per the client’s request, four levels of consciousness.
- NorthWest Crossing Buildings F&G, Bend, Ore. — West Bend Property Company, Bend, Ore.
In the green building category, the two commercial buildings in Oregon’s largest mixed-use community provide residents with convenient access to neighborhood businesses and services ― encouraging a strong sense of community and enabling resident to rely less on automobiles.
- Gateway Community Church, Austin, Texas — Cornerstone Group Architects LLP, Austin, Texas
In the institutional category, the 65,000-square-foot three-building church features bold contemporary forms and color usage that challenge the rules of traditional church architecture.
- Middleton Hills Center, Middleton, Wis. — Linville Architects, Madison, Wis.
In the mixed-use category, this new urban project features a 45,000-square-foot grocery store and additional combined retail-office and residential condominiums.
- MegaPlex 20 Movie Theater, South Jordan, Utah — Reward Wall Systems, Omaha, Neb.
- Community First Bank, Chicago — Myefski Cook Architects, Inc., Glencoe, Ill.
- The Esplanade at Downtown Stuart, Stuart, Fla. — Bayview Construction Corp., Stuart, Fla.
- Fairway Executive Center, Reston, Va. — Tetra Partnerships, Reston, Va.
- University Professional Center, Ashburn, Va. — Tetra Partnerships, Reston, Va.
- Herndon Commerce Center, Herndon, Va. — Tetra Partnerships, Reston, Va.
- Christian Community Chapel, Hillsboro, N.J. — Bossart Builders, Flanders, N.J.
- Sailfish Point Marina, Hutchinson Island, Fla. — Bayview Construction Corp., Stuart, Fla.
- Dairyland Healthcare Solutions, Glenwood, Minn. — Innovative Builders, Erectors, Developers, Alexandria, Minn.
- Pinnacle Bank Renovation, Gallup, N.M. — Murphy Builders, Inc., Gallup, N.M.
- Dr. Gregory Mohr, D.D.S., Manlius, N.Y. — McClurg Remodeling and Construction Services, Marcellus, N.Y.
- Calvary Bible Church, Readington, N.J. — Bossart Builders, Flanders, N.J.
- E2City Homes, Minneapolis, Minn. — Reward Wall Systems, Omaha, Neb.
The winning projects will be on display at the NCBC headquarters during the 2008 International Builders’ Show in Orlando on Feb. 13-16.