What Do Boomer Women Want From Builders? Lifestyle.
Boomer women embrace their roles as household decision makers and want builders and manufacturers to connect with their lifestyles, according to an article in the summer issue of 50+ Housing Magazine, published by NAHB’s 50+ Housing Council.
“The 55- to 75-year old female has seen her role change from homemaker to purchaser of security, convenience and luxury items,” said Barbara Kleger, boomer author, president of 55+ Consulting and a member of the NAHB 50+ Housing Council. “She is more educated and more involved in decision making."
“Women in this age group are the major decision makers not only for housing for themselves and their immediate families, but also for their elderly parents or in-laws,” Kleger added
Marketing to today’s 55+ woman means defining her needs by life stage and health, rather than chronological age, Kleger said. Women’s needs and desires differ depending on whether they are widows, empty nesters or have just retired. Being newly single, a caregiver to an aging relative, a grandparent or in a second marriage or new career changes things, too.
“Women expect to live a full and active life in retirement, and they want it to be the best it can be,” Kleger said. “In shopping for housing, women want to talk about quality and finishes and are very involved in customizing and choosing options.”
Kleger goes on to say that Boomer women see themselves as non-traditional, as far as lifestyle and leisure activities are concerned. Popular fitness activities like golf or tennis may no longer appeal to them.
“Today’s woman wants to spend her time doing things that exercise her mind, body and spirit.” Retirement, according to Kleger, signals a new beginning and a redefinition of the 50+ years, and this is especially true for women.
“If you ask a woman what she wants in her next move she will tell you in terms of lifestyle. This generation seeks adventure, education, self-improvement, personal growth and self-definition,” she said.
Kleger provided a quick list of what the 55+ woman is looking for:
- Safety and security — Women want to know that maintenance and safety issues will be handled. A gated community may provide a sense of security.
- Connections — More than ever, women want a sense of community, neighbors to talk to and things to do with them.
- Convenience — More than just being close to family, shopping and familiar places, 55+ women want everything in their homes to be more convenient and easier than ever.
- Balance and quality — It’s not just about lifestyle. Women want their own time and their own space, which can be a home office, media room, place to exercise, sunroom or all of the above. She wants it all — and she is often willing to pay for it.
- Trust — Women need to feel confident that the people she is talking to, and buying from, will follow through on their promises.
- Expression — Choice is important. 55+ women want to control the things they want. Selecting the options and upgrades helps express individuality.
Save the Date for 2007 50+ Housing Symposium
Mark May 30-June 1, 2007 on your calendars to attend the 50+ Housing Symposium.
The seniors housing symposium is the premier educational and networking event for industry professionals who serve the burgeoning 50+ market.
Visit www.nahb.org/build4boomers for more information.
Find Out What Boomers Want
“Boomers on the Horizon: Housing Preferences of the 55+ Market,” available through BuilderBooks.com, can help you better build and market homes to this age group.
Capitalize on the niches, needs and opportunities of this rapidly growing market by learning their preferences. To view or purchase this publication online, click here, or call 800-223-2665.