2004 BALA Best in Housing Design Award Winners Announced
The Best in American Living Award (BALA) awards, recognizing the nation’s best new housing designs, were presented on Jan. 12, during the International Builders’ Show in Orlando, Fla.
The Home of the Year was awarded to Bassenian Lagoni Architects of Newport Beach, Calif. The winning 5,776-square-foot-home in Laguna Hills, Calif., built by William Lyon Homes, was chosen by the judges for its broad appeal to both builders and consumers; for its nostalgic, small-town, neotraditional design; and for its enticing curb appeal.
“You can certainly imagine this house (being built) in states such as Indiana, Ohio, Connecticut and all down the east coast,” said BALA judge Cheryl O’Brien, president of C. O’Brien Architects.
The BALA awards included 104 winners in 41 categories chosen from more than 490 entries. Winners were selected by a panel of builders, marketing experts, architects, land planners, developers, design professionals, interior designers and the editor of Professional Builder magazine.
BALA also awards regional winners to those homes that represent the best residential design in their area of the country. The 2004 regional winners are:
- North Atlantic — Equestrian Estate at Saratoga Farm, Malta, N.Y., by Witt Construction, Inc., Saratoga Springs, N.Y.
- Middle Atlantic — Jefferson at Providence Place, Providence, R.I., by Looney Ricks Kiss, Memphis, Tenn.
- South Atlantic — Bougainvillea Courtyard Homes, Vero Beach, Fla., by Looney Ricks Kiss, Memphis, Tenn.
- Midwest — The Villa Carabelli Townhomes, Cleveland, by Marous Brothers Construction, Inc., Willoughby, Ohio
- South Central — Private Residence, The Woodlands, Texas, by Robert Dame Designs, Houston
- Mountain — The Metro, Denver, by Meeks and Partners Co., Houston
- Pacific — The Cortile Collection at The Bridges, Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., by Bassenian Lagoni Architects, Newport Beach, Calif.
- Pacific Northwest — North Creek, Bothell, Wash., by Mithun Partners, Seattle
The winning homes and projects are featured in a supplement published in the January issue of Professional Builder magazine.
The BALA awards are sponsored by Professional Builder magazine and NAHB.
For more information about the 2004 BALA award winners, to view the supplement and to enter the 2005 competition, visit the BALA awards Web site at www.HousingZone.com/BALA.